#820 – Viewing Additional Font Properties in Windows Explorer
May 15, 2013 1 Comment
You can preview TrueType fonts in Windows Explorer and also get some basic properties about each font. If you right-click on a font file, select Properties and then select the Details tab, you’ll see some basic information:
You can also download a Microsoft-provided tool, the OpenType Font File Properties Extension, to get even more information about each font. You can download the tool from here. (This tool will only work on 32-bit operating systems).
After installing the extension tool, the properties dialog for a font file will contain a number of additional tabs.
- Embedding – Are you allowed to embed the font in your application?
- CharSet/Unicode – What encoding method is used (e.g. Unicode)
- Links – (optional) URL to font vendor
- Description – General info on the font
- License – license information
- Version – font version
- Hinting/Font Smoothing – point sizes for hinting/smoothing
- Names – Font name, font family name, vendor, etc.
- Features – Description from vendor